Bubbles Our Rolls Royce
Bubbles our 1935 Rolls-Royce This car was built in 1935 and adapted as an Estate Car to hunt game in Rhodesia. The ends of the bumpers had pole holders provided so that four poles could be erected to support an awning over the entire vehicle to provide shade for the occupants.
Under the front seats are gun holders and the windows drop down to allow occupants to shoot from inside the car. Seized by the Germans during the war for use as a staff car it was eventually purchased by the Wrigley family of chewing gum fame and shipped to their private game estate on Santa Catalina Island, California, U.S.A. Having imported the car back to the U.K. after 69 years abroad, it is often found outside Rules Restaurant and on The Rules’ Estate, Lartington Hall Park in the High Pennines.
Technical details: Chassis Number GHG22. Engine Number N4K Registration No BXK4. From 1929 – 1936 the number of cars produced was 3,827. The engine is 3,699 cc with six cylinders. A separate cylinder head and the valves are operated by pushrods. On early cars the radiator shutters were hand operated. By 1935 the maximum speed had risen from 67 mph to 76 mph. The car is maintained by: Vincent Roma. Frank Dale 125 Harlequin Av Brentford. TW8 9EW Tel 00442088475447
The following have also maintained the car:
Ray Hillier. Hillier Hill Ltd. Olney. MK46 5EA Tel: 01234 713871
Dick Francis Carrosserie Co Ltd. Barnard Castle. DL12 8XT Tel: 01833 630011
Bubbles at work on the Estate and in and around London. (click on a photo to enlarge)